Q: Where do I get information about housing discrimination?
A: For information about housing discrimination, call the U.S. Department of Justice at (202) 514-2000, 950 Pennsylvania Ave., NW DC 20530 or your local U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development office.
For detailed information, the booklet, “Your Loan is Denied, Defending Yourself Against Mortgage Lending Discrimination,” is available from the Center for Investigative Reporting, 500 Howard Street, Suite 206, San Francisco, CA 94105-3008 or call (415) 543-1200.
Q: Where do I get information on consumer credit laws?
A: For information on consumer credit laws, contact the National Foundation for Consumer Credit, 8701 Georgia Ave., Suite 507, Silver Springs, MD 20910; call (301) 589-5600.
Q: Where do I get a copy of my credit report?
A: For a copy of your own credit report, call one of the three main national credit reporting agencies: Equifax, (800) 685-1111; Experian, (800) 392-1122 or Trans Union, (312) 408-1050. The bureaus also should provide instructions on how to read their report and dispute any inaccuracies it contains.
Q: Where do I get information on who regulates lenders?
A: The following regulatory bodies oversee lenders:
* Comptroller of the Currency, Compliance Division, Washington, D.C., (800) 613-6743.
* Office of Thrift Supervision, Consumer Affairs, Washington, D.C., (202) 906-6237.
* Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., Consumer Affairs, Washington, D.C., (800) 934-3342.
Your state departments of real estate or commerce also may regulate the lenders in your area.
Q: Where do I get information on finding the best loan?
A: For information on how to find the best home loan, check out this booklet:
* “How to Shop for a Mortgage,” by the Mortgage Bankers Association of America, 1125 15th St., N.W., Washington, DC 20005; call (202) 861-6500.
Q: Where do I get information on mortgages?
A: For information on mortgages, check out the following sources for information:
* American Bankers Association; (202) 663-5000.
* Mortgage Bankers Association of America, 1125 15th St., N.W., Washington, DC 20005; (202) 861-6500.
Q: Where can I get a list of mortgage brokers?
A: For information on mortgage brokers, contact the National Association of Mortgage Brokers at (703) 610-9009